Do you ever find it hard using a traditional floss? Dental floss sticks can be your alternative flossing tool. You can visit KellyvilleFamilyDental.com.au and ask for a hygienist to explain how to floss your teeth properly.
How important is it to do flossing?
Flossing is an essential part of proper oral hygiene. Flossing once a day is a lot better than not flossing at all. Brushing your teeth will never be enough. Brushing alone cannot reach the corners or in between your teeth. Therefore, plaques and food particles are still in there.
For this reason, regular flossing will do that part. It will remove the food particles and prevent them from gathering bacteria. The bacteria that will buildup can cause plaque, tooth decay and other oral health issues.
Our tooth has five surfaces. Among these five surfaces, brushing can only reach three of them. Flossing can work out the two remaining surfaces for you. Aside from that, flossing prevents you from the risk of developing gingivitis and cavities, which are the two prominent mouth’s dental issues.
You can also watch the video below to have more information about dental flossing.
What are dental floss sticks?
A dental floss stick is a plastic tool that is only small in size. You can even carry it inside your pouch wherever you go. This plastic tool has a curved end, holding a piece of dental floss in its head. Aside from that, this stick’s tip is also usable as a pick instead of the traditional wooden toothpick.
You can select from disposable or refillable dental floss sticks. You can even find floss sticks with no-grip design in markets now. Other features sometimes include tongue scraper as well. As you can see, the evolution of dental flossing is very particular.
Advantages of using floss sticks
Here are some of the common advantages a dental floss stick can give you.
- Some individuals find it easier to use. It allows them to reach into the back portion of the mouth.
- Due to its slim size, you can carry it anywhere you go and fit inside your bag.
- There is some evidence that can prove the effectivity of using dental floss sticks.
- It offers dual purpose. Aside from being a floss stick, you can use the end as a toothpick.
On the other hand, there are also downfalls in using floss sticks.
- Other people find it harder to use these floss ticks compared to the traditional floss.
- Since you will use a single floss string, it is highly possible to transfer bacteria and food particles to other parts of the teeth.
- It has an environmental drawback. Since most of these floss sticks are disposable, it adds up to the pile of trash.
- As compared to traditional floss, a floss stick might hinder you from doing the proper flossing technique.
- Most dental health professionals prefer traditional floss as the best choice for a flossing tool.
Proper traditional flossing technique
We always hear that there is a proper technique of flossing. Let me enumerate how you should do adequate flossing to enjoy its maximum benefits for your teeth.
- Get about 18 inches of your usual floss string. You would wind most of it around one of your middle fingers. On your other finger, curve the remaining floss. This finger will take the dirty part of the floss.
- You have to hold your floss string tightly supported by your thumbnails.
- Your fingers will guide the dental floss in a gentle rubbing motion in between your teeth up to the gums. Make sure not to put too much force as it may cause cut or bruise in your gum tissues.
- Gently slide the floss in between the gum and your tooth when you reach the gum lines.
- Rub the floss in up and down motion to work on the sides of your tooth.
- Repeat this method to the rest of your teeth. However, you should use the clean part of the floss per tooth.
- Once you finished all your teeth, you should throw the used piece of floss. You cannot use it again since it might only spread bacteria.
Choosing between traditional floss and floss sticks
As we have mentioned earlier, regular flossing is essential to maintain good oral health condition. Between flossing options, you can use whichever you are comfortable with. As long as you know how to use them properly, it’s okay.
Moreover, you only have to consider the flossing tool’s pros and cons that you will choose to use. It would be best to ensure that your flossing tool will serve its purpose. A flossing tool’s primary purpose is to remove left food particles and plaque buildup between your teeth and gums. Additionally, your main goal why you are flossing is to prevent cavities and gingivitis from developing.
However, if this is not the case for the current flossing tool you are using, it would be best to ask your dentist about it. Besides that, it is not only brushing and flossing that you should regularly put into practice. Regular visits to your dentist are also necessary.
In general, the dentist will still be your best option in providing dental care for your teeth. They can offer preventive dental care to keep your teeth and overall oral health in their best condition. At Boutique Dental they can show you how to brush and floss properly.
Act responsibly. Take care of your oral health. It will also affect your overall health—oral diseases open doors to risks of developing severe health issues. If I were you, I would invest instead in preventive dental care than spend money undergoing corrective measures for my teeth.
Proper oral hygiene is not something you should neglect. It should be a part of your daily routine to maximize the lifespan of your teeth. Aside from that, having a good oral health condition opens opportunities for you, boosts your self-confidence, and allows you to smile without fearing to show your teeth.
In the long run, your oral health condition will still depend on your actions. Proper brushing, proper technique of flossing and regular dental visits are the keys.